Wednesday, May 8, 2013
[ssLauncher-Tip] Reduce 'Home Delay'
The first goal of ssLauncher is to work well on low memory devices. Now I'm using 'Xperia Arc', which has 512mb of RAM, as a main phone. The important thing is that it works well on the device.
If you have some delay about a few seconds when closing an app and coming back to the launcher, we call it 'home delay'. Generally, it is caused by the following process.
- The launcher go into background when you running another app.
- While running the app and available memory(RAM) get lowed, Android will kill some background processes (applications).
- When coming back to the launcher, it should be restarted. The delay is the time for restarting.
If you always get 'home delay', try the following instructions.
1. DO NOT use any task killer application.
Many users are using a task killer to increase the amount of available memory. However, the 'available memory' means exactly 'not using memory' and is not helpful to increase the performance of Android. If you keep always 1GB available on a device with 2GB RAM, this is not different from that you are using a device with 1GB RAM.
2. Reboot your device.
Android OS has the 'memory leak' issues. If you have not rebooted your device for a long time (a week is enough), the available memory could get leaked. The only way to get back the leaked memory is to reboot the device.
3. Turn on 'Use notification' in menu > preferences.
If you are getting home delays in spite of not using a task killer, try to turn on the option 'Use notification' in menu > preferences. (only for the paid version)
This will let ssLauncher have later order for background kills. That is, other background applications will be killed earlier than ssLauncher.
Keep to use faster ssLauncher!